What to Expect at Your Baby’s Two-Week Checkup
For most, the two week checkup will be the first visit to the pediatrician's office with your new baby. This may also be your baby's first “big” trip away from the house. Have fun on your adventure!
Here is what you can expect for your baby's 2 week checkup:
- Your baby's length will be measured and compared to a standard height chart. The doctor will let you know what percentile your baby falls into for height.
- Your baby will be weighed. His/her weight will be compared to a standard weight chart. The doctor will let you know what percentile your baby falls into for weight.
- Your baby's head circumference will be measured and compared to a standard chart. The doctor will let you know what percentile your baby falls into for head circumference.
- The doctor will perform a physical exam of your baby.
- The doctor may perform the following tests: PKU, T4, galactosemia, thalassemia screen, as well as other extended metabolic screenings.
Also, if your baby has jaundice, blood may be taken from your baby's heel and tested.
If you have any questions or concerns, do not be afraid to ask your child's pediatrician.