Surviving a Summer Pregnancy
Even at the best of times, being pregnant is no cakewalk. During the summer though, a pregnancy can go from uncomfortable to downright unbearable. Staying comfortable is the key to maintaining your sanity throughout the hot summer months. Here are some tips for making the most of your summer pregnancy:
- Get out in the morning or late evening: Early in the morning and late in the evening you'll find that the cooler air and lower humidity will make it easier to move around. This is the ideal time to run errands or go for a stroll.
- Stay indoors when possible: On days when the temperature is high, or when air quality is bad, you should try to stay inside and keep activity to a minimum.
- Stay light and natural: Light-colored clothing will help reflect sunlight, and natural fabrics like cotton or linen will give more breathability which will help you feel cooler.
- Drink water, a lot of water: Your body sweats to keep cool, so it needs water to hydrate. We all know the benefits of drinking water, especially in hot weather so keep a bottle handy.
- Stay in the shade: Between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM, when the sun is strongest you should keep out of the sun to avoid overheating. If you do need to go out, put on sunscreen 20 minutes prior and carry a parasol.