Perfect Summer Recipes for When It’s Too Hot to Cook
If I were to turn my oven on to make a meal, I am most certain that my house would combust.
It's hot. Really, really hot.
My house doesn't have air conditioning, which is fine, until the temperature rises into the 90s and beyond–that's when our house becomes sweltering and we almost start seeing mirages. So in the summer, we don't very often cook–we live on anything that requires the least amount of heat possible, sandwiches mostly, but my husband is growing tired of those, so I'm going to add these twelve delicious finds to our summertime menu.
1. Avocado Chickpea Yogurt Dip. Sometimes, when it's so hot, no one feels like eating. But this light and refreshing dip is perfect for the days when it's just too hot to eat a full meal.
2. Olympic 7-Layer Greek Dip. Lightly grilled eggplant sandwiched between layers of Greek flavors? This dish deserves a medal.
3. Chicken Waldorf Salad. Who doesn't love a Waldorf salad? I love this because of it's lightness and because you can pick up a rotisserie chicken as Kelly suggests–no cooking required.
4. Avocado Black Bean Salsa. As mentioned previously, sometimes just grazing on something light seems more appetizing than eating something heavy. This is just another deliciously light eat.
5. Rocky Road Brownies. If you're in need of a chocolate fix, these brownies can be made in the microwave–no oven required.
6. Bacon & Peach Panini. Bacon is kind of like ranch dressing–it goes with just about everything. Even peaches. Kelly Pugliano said that this sandwich will knock your socks off. It's true. It's pretty darn good.
7. Lobster Tacos. Treat yourself with these lobster tacos. Their creator says that every bite tastes just like summer.
8. Strawberry Rhubarb Frozen Yogurt. I don't know about you, but I believe it's totally fine to eat frozen yogurt for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
9. Panzanella Salad. Nothing sounds better right now than this panzanella salad, full of fresh veggies, coated in tangy dressing, and topped with perfectly crusted bread.
10. Ice Cream Sandwich Cake. Ice cold chocolate, vanilla, fudgey cake sounds so good to me. What about you?
11. Cauliflower Tostada. This fresh take on a traditional tostada makes my mouth water.
12. Granola Yogurt Parfaits. Parfaits are a welcome treat on a hot day, and this granola recipe makes them even better because it is so good. It isn't going on today's menu since it's too hot to turn the oven on, I'm going to wait for one of the strangely cool days that we have to make it. In the meantime, I'll be making a trip to the grocery store.
What is your favorite summer meal?Read More