Moms Share the Worst Parenting Advice They’ve Ever Received
It seems like as soon as your belly begins to pop (and sometimes even before!) strangers, friends, and family alike begin sharing parenting advice. Some of it is helpful, some of it is weird, and some of it is downright bad. Click through to see what other moms shared as the worst advice they've ever gotten!
1. “Don't pick up your newborn when they cry, you'll spoil them” – Lindsay
While some parents believe in sleep training by letting their babies cry it out once they're a few months old, there's just no way letting a newborn cry is healthy. Newborns have no way other than crying to communicate their needs and simply cannot be spoiled!
2. “Give your baby a cooked chicken bone to chew on, he'll get all of his teeth real early!” -Hannah
Not only would giving a baby something hard to chew on not help them get teeth any earlier than they normally would, it's also incredibly dangerous.
3. “In response to my daughter teething … Give her a knife to chew on. It will help break the skin.” -Taryn
Again, giving babies tough stuff to chew on won't help them get teeth sooner, and who thinks giving a baby a knife to chew on is a decent idea?!
4. “Put Jack Daniels on the baby's gums when they are teething” -Madeline
Teething seems to inspire people to give all kinds of bad advice. Babies should never, ever be given alcohol, no matter what any bad advice giver says.
5. “Give a child Benadryl to make him sleepy and not fussy” -Masha
While a fussy baby can be frustrating to deal with, parents should never give them any sort of medication without a doctor's recommendation.
6.”When starting my baby on cereal and jars, I was told to put a little sugar in the oatmeal and dip the spoonful of vegetables in applesauce before you give it to him, then he will eat everything!” -Nicole
While a baby probably would really like veggies or oatmeal with sugar, it probably won't help them learn to enjoy vegetables on their own.
8. “When one of mine was little, she was a hardcore biter. I can't tell you how many people told me to bite her back.” -Sara
While helping a baby learn not to bite can be challenging, biting them back is not only cruel, it also doesn't work!
9.”‘Give honey to him, he'll love it!' …When he was only 3 months old.” – Hannah
It seems like lots of people really want to give babies tasty treats that they just shouldn't have. Parents should avoid giving their little ones honey until they're at least one year old.
What was the worst parenting advice you were given?Read More