A Guide to Solid Food for Baby
If your baby is starting solids soon, and you’re wondering where to start, stay right here. We’ve rounded up a great deal of information that will help guide you through the solid-food transition.
Sometimes it is difficult to know when to start introducing solids to your baby. Kim Shapira, MS, RD‘s rule of thumb is to begin babies on solid food when they have doubled their birth weight. Others find that BLW, or Baby-Led Weaning works really well for their little ones. Check out the following pages for information that can help you determine the when and how of introducing your little one to solids!
My babies ate white rice cereal, and I was a white rice-fed baby as well. But now there is a big debate over whether or not babies should be fed with white rice cereal. Did you know that? You can read about it here. Did you or will you feed your baby white rice cereal?
Here are a few articles and blogs that help define the time frame and order in which certain foods should be introduced:
- Starting a Baby on Solid Foods: When, How, and Why is a great guide to baby feeding.
- What is your baby ready to eat this month? Find out in Let’s Eat!
If you're refraining from prepackaged, white-rice cereal for your baby, here is a short video on how to make your own brown-rice cereal at home: add 1 cup of rice — white or brown — and put it in a blender on high until it becomes very fine; then, bring a cup of boiling water to a boil, add the rice and let it cook until it becomes like baby food. Let it cool, and serve.
Feeding babies is a messy bit of fun, but sometimes it's a little tricky, because believe it or not, eating is a skill. Let these bits of advice help you and your baby:
- Help your little one’s hands get the hang of using a spoon with A Solid Start: Introducing Spoon Feeding.
- Here are some helpful tips that will make feeding time go a lot smoother can be found in Tips on Feeding Your Baby Solid Foods.
- Feeding twins? Solid Feeding Techniques for Twins Starting Solids might come in handy.
Do you have any feeding tips?
How to prepare baby food:
- Save Money and Go Green with Homemade Baby Food will show you how easy it is to make baby food.
- Read how one mom saved money by making her own baby food here.
Watch this quick video on how to begin making delicious, homemade food for your baby. Also, learn why it is important feed your baby the one food item for four days in a row.
What have you found most challenging about introducing solids? What is your little one's favorite food?Read More