Safety Tips for Your Nursery
Turn your baby's nursery into a safety zone by following these tips:
- Keep drapery and blind cords out of baby's reach.
- Place a working smoke detector in or near your child's bedroom.
- Make sure that window guards are securely in place to prevent a child from falling out the window.
- Never place a crib, playpen, or other children's furniture near a window.
- Put plug protectors in unused electrical outlets.
- Make sure your child's toy box doesn't have a heavy, hinged lid that could trap your child.
- Use a cool-air humidifier instead of a vaporizer to avoid burns. Clean it frequently and empty it when not in use to prevent bacteria and mold growth.
- Use a safety belt on the changing table.
- Keep baby powder and other supplies out of baby's reach when changing.
- Never leave a child unattended on a changing table.
- Put carpet or a nonskid rug beneath the crib and changing table