Home Birth vs. Hospital Birth

hospital birth

There are many different opinions and sides to this subject; I think we should all just agree that everyone is looking for the best pregnancy experience they can get, and that means different things to different people. Every woman should have the opportunity to choose what kind of delivery they would like, but those facing complicated or high risk pregnancies should take into consideration the health and safety of herself and her unborn child and think about additional services that may be needed. There are pros and cons to both sides, and even the pros and cons are relative, depending on which side of the fence you sit.

When it comes to hospital births, they are more controlled. The environment is pretty sterile although delivery of a baby is considered to be a “clean” procedure.

When it comes to hospital births, they are more controlled. The environment is pretty sterile, although delivery of a baby is considered to be a “clean” procedure. When you are admitted to the hospital for labor, whether it is induced or natural timing, intravenous IV access is obtained, and you are placed on fetal monitors and a transducer that monitors your contractions.

You are usually confined to a bed, especially if the membrane of your amniotic sack has been ruptured (this can happen naturally or the doctor can “break your water” with an amniotic hook), and you are then limited to ice chips. Your food and fluid intake is limited, in case you have to have a Cesarean Section or another emergency that would require anesthesia.

If you would like, pain medication is readily available in two forms. The first is Nubain, a short acting narcotic that lessens pain perception and makes the pain more tolerable. Second is a longer acting epidural that is administered by an anesthesiologist through the space between the spinal cord and the outer membranes, this space being called the epidural space. The epidural, when working properly, dulls the sensations from your stomach to your legs or feet. These are all pretty standard features that come with the hospital.

Another thing that seem to be standard is the administration of Pitocen, which is a medication that is started to help your contractions become strong and regular. Pitocen is made to simulate Oxytocin, which is a hormone that causes muscles to contract in the uterus. The use of this medication is one of the causes of debate. Sure, if a woman needs help getting contractions started, a little help is wonderful, but rarely in the hospital setting is the need for this medication assessed. It seems to be more about time management, and that is one of the problems with hospital births (in my opinion). Instead of letting the birth happen naturally, they want to speed up the process or make it happen at a desirable time for the doctor or mother.

What do you think?

Home Birth vs. Hospital Birth

1. Profile photo of amarlismommy amarlismommy says:

You are awesome for taking this into your own hands! I wish I could take the steps to do this but my husband is not comfortable with the idea of not having a doctor deliver the baby. In my opinion a midwife is just as great as a doctor.

2. Profile photo of amarlismommy amarlismommy says:

You are very brave to do this! I think what you are doing is amazing.

3. Profile photo of penesten penesten says:

The thought of having a home birth really frightens me. I would just be so scared that something could go wrong with the baby during labor/delivery. Perhaps I’m just paranoid because this is my first baby, but the modern medical amenities offered by a hospital are the best choice for me.

4. Profile photo of Melissa Melissa says:

Personally I feel more comfortable with a hospital birth. Only because if something happens to go wrong they have all the equipment and staff there to help me.

5. Profile photo of aysha aysha says:

It is a relative thing whether to go to hospital for delivery is good or home delivery. for some mothers home delivery may seem easy and comfortable if their home is comfortable, if a doctor or midwife is available 24/7 for them during the last week. but i prefer hospital for my delivery cause doctors and nurse plus all the medical facility will be availble. so it depends where you fell more comfortable and at ease.

6. Profile photo of Lulu Lulu says:

I had a hospital birth, and they (doc, midwives, nurses, the entire staff really) were AMAZING in there.

7. Profile photo of Stephanie Stephanie says:

Having my daughter in the hospital was great help it also saved my daughter cause her heart beat stop so now for my son 9yrs later I’m doing the same thing going to the hospital

8. Sorry that was writen by me, Valarie I didnt relize it would show up under my husbands name.

9. I had my first child at the hospital and was not to happy with how i was treated and had no choice about things. My doctor didnt seem to care about what i wanted. im pegnet with my second and due april 1. my plan with this one is to do all i can at home and if it happends fast, like my last dilervery was only 30min of labor untill i held my baby i almost didnt make it to the hospital, im goin to do all i can to stay a home were i can control everything then if it goes fst like my last one i will have him at home with just my husband and daugter. Or ill make sure i barly make it to the hospital again. The state i live in does not allow midwifes so those are my only choices. Now i also have no poblems with me or the baby and im not worried about it eaither. It should all be about the mother and what she wants to be done to her and her child no one else has any say at all!!

10. My hospital is pretty lenient and helpful when it comes to the comfort of the soon to be mom. They encourage walking around and natural progression of labor, which I like a lot. I thought of doing a home birth since hospitals and doctors and nurses all make me kind of nervous, but I just think we would be safer under the constant care of a health care professional. For those moms that can do a home that is awesome and I am a little jealous that I am just too nervous to try it.

11. I had my daughter at home after being sent home the day I had her I never made it back to the hospital and I ended up having her at home in front of all my kids and mom ….

12. Profile photo of ErinF ErinF says:

I’m planning a homebirth and feel totally confident about it. I think that for me, labor and birth will be much less stressful, and therefore less painful and more effective, if I am at home with my husband and my very experienced midwife rather than in a foreign environment, interrupted and pressured by strangers. I like the idea of being allowed to progress at my own pace, move freely, eat and drink as I like. I also like the idea of not having the transfer and trip home to worry about so I can rest with my baby for as long as needed. It’s all personal and unique to the woman and her needs, comfort and her family. I’m very grateful to have the options to do whatever I feel is best for myself and my baby.

13. Profile photo of KWRAY KWRAY says:

I strongly suggest every women who is a mother, expecting, or planning on becoming a mother watch "The business of being born" (and the 2nd part "More business on being born") and "Pregnant in America." I’ll admit they are generally one sided but there is a lot of valuable information in these documentaries (both are on instant play on Netflix). I’m not here to be preachy one way or the other. I will say that there needs to be less fear of birth. Of course, with your first, you don’t know what to expect and that can be rattling for a first time mommy. I read Hypnobirthing: The Mongan method. I didn’t dig the wolel hypnosis part of it but there are a lot of good facts and information to help you overcome any anxiety and just let your body do what it’s made to do. Make sure your birthing partner is on the same page with you because they help remind you of your capabilities.

I delivered both of my children in hospital and both were without any sort of pain killers or inducement. I get both sides. I would TOTALLY have my baby at home with a midwife but the way my inusrance is set up it’s cheapr to deliver in a hospital and with finances what they are I have to do what’s best for the family. My mom delivered 7 of her 8 children without any medical assistance and never made it seem like a horrible experience. If my mom take it in stride then I decided I could, too. Two of my sisters opted for epidurals and that’s what works for them and that makes them happy.

14. img having a hospital birth if im not stranded somewhere where i cant get there! lol, i like the hospital.

15. Profile photo of Valerie Valerie says:

Hospital Birth, better safe than sorry!

16. Profile photo of Robbi Robbi says:

This will be our first child and we are planning a home birth. I would highly recommend doing research into ‘routine’ hospital procedures and interventions so that if you do birth at a hospital you can really give informed consent..and don’t let the doctors scare or bully you into what they thing needs to happen. Ask questions and ask for the risk of each procedure before you allow it. Homebirth isn’t for everyone, but every procedure that is done *will* home some effect on your baby.

17. Profile photo of Jeanetta Jeanetta says:

Hospital birth because this is my child.

18. Profile photo of Julie Julie says:

This is my first child and I am going to have her at the hospital. I am already afraid. I think I would be terrified at home.

19. Profile photo of Shyra Shyra says:

It’s my first birth so I think I would rather the comfort of a hospital just in case anything were to happen

20. Profile photo of lisa_iowa lisa_iowa says:

Home birth is just as safe (if not safer) than hospital births when accompanied by a competent midwife who carries necessary medical supplies like O2 and other things.

Homebirth is NOT the same as having an unassisted birth. Once a mom gets past the media hype and fear mongering and actually talks to women who have delivered at home, or who attend homebirths, they find out how safe and unscary it really is.

21. Profile photo of Rose Rose says:

What bothers me about giving birth in a hospital is all the fear mongering I hear about. The constant stream of "don’t you want what’s best for you baby?". Of course I do! I also know that what’s best for my baby is for me to listen to my body. Women have been doing it for a very long time. Why now does my ability to have a baby require that I lay on my back (which is the best position for a doctor to see not for a women to give birth as it narrows the birthing canal) and have my labor induced because I’m on a time schedule. It’s silly to think that I should hurry things along when my body and my baby aren’t ready to give birth yet. I want the option to stand. I want the option to walk and to change positions. To be forced to lay on my back sounds more like torture than "what is best for the baby".

22. Profile photo of Hope Hope says:

I want a natural water birth also. I’d either have to do it at home though or drive 45 min to a nearby hospital though because the nearest hospital will not perform water births.

23. Profile photo of Hope Hope says:

Midwives also know what they are doing. They have been trained to deliver babies. You can also have a Dr. at your home when you give birth.

24. Profile photo of lhunter lhunter says:

I’d rather deliver my child in a hospital because they know what ythey are doing and its more sterile

Get a FREE Newborn Sleep Guide when you sign up for our newsletter

By joining the EverydayFamily.com community, you will have access to our active community of mothers just like you, interactive tools, sweepstakes, free baby offers and more! You will also receive customized newsletters tailored specifically to you and special offers directly in your inbox.By joining the EverydayFamily.com community, you will have access to our active community of mothers, interactive tools, sweepstakes, free baby offers, customized email newsletters tailored specifically to you and special offers directly in your inbox.

Due Date or Baby's Birth Date

By clicking the "Join Now" button you are agreeing to the terms of use and privacy policy.