I Had Never Been So Excited to Have a Pelvic Exam: Part Three of My VBAC Journey

IMG_4170
Image via Samantha Chase

Four hours after my appointment with Dr. Palmer, I found myself sitting in Tampa General Hospital — that's about how well our talk went. He thought I needed to go to the hospital; I didn't. But in the end, I heeded his warnings. I'd trusted him for the last 10 months, and I needed to trust him now.

Before heading to the hospital, we dropped my daughter off with family and asked our neighbor to watch our dog. We packed some bags and drove an hour over a very long bridge in rush-hour traffic. And, oh yeah, my water broke. That happened. 

At 41 weeks and 3 days, my water broke while I was literally driving to the hospital to be induced. Crazy.

So here I was, waiting for whoever was on call to show up and start the induction process. We were going to do a foley bulb, a non-chemical induction that I had discussed at length with Dr. Palmer in the months leading up to that very moment. I was nervous but confident, anxious to get the show on the road. 

{ MORE: If You've Been Wanting a Birth Journal, Your Dreams Just Came True }

The OB who came in to do my induction was a complete stranger to me. This wasn't a shock, as my OB practice was huge (15 OBs and 8 midwives), but it was still a disappointment. I had managed to see 2/3 of the staff during my pregnancy, but she wasn't one of them. 

Her name was Dr. Cox, and it didn't take long for me to form an opinion of her. 

“The nurse told me your water broke on the way over?”

I nodded, not sure what she was getting at. It felt like it was a trick.

“I am afraid we are not going to be able to do your induction. Infection is just too big of a risk now.”

Yep. It was a trick.

“So we are going to wait for labor to start on its own?” I was more telling than asking. 

She gave me a half smile and then completely ignored my question. 

She pulled on some gloves. “Let's see what's going on in there.” 

I had never been so excited to have a pelvic exam. I threw my legs up in the stirrups and pulled back my hospital gown. I was confident that the exam would end with high fives and reassurances that, yes, indeed, my water had broken and labor was not too far behind. She was going to tell me I was fully effaced and at least 5 cm dilated.

But that wasn't what happened. Instead, I got sucker punched. 

“I am recommending we do a repeat c-section. I think it is the safest option for both the mom and baby. We are going to …”

She was talking more to the nurse than to me. I interrupted her. 

“Wait, what?! What are you saying?” I was flustered. She caught me off guard.

“You are not even 1 cm dilated. It is tight in there. You are almost 42 weeks. I feel that a repeat c-section is your safest option.” 

I slowed my breathing, gathering my thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT

“And if I refuse?” I looked her right in the eyes. I could feel a rage bubbling up inside of me. 

“Listen, I am very pro VBAC. I really am. You can ask any of the nurses. But I have been doing this a long time, and there is no way you are going to give birth to your baby vaginally. I know it isn't what you wanted, but you need to be realistic. Think of your baby.” 

{ MORE: 3 Tips That Made Giving Birth Easier }

I hated her. How dare she? Did she really think I was going to throw everything out the window after one pelvic exam?

I wasn't backing down, and she knew it. 

She left the room without saying another word. I expected her to come back and check on me, but I never saw her again.

Finding ourselves finally alone in our hospital room, I lost it. I totally lost it. My worst nightmare was becoming a reality. I didn't know if I should fight or run or simply give up. I felt overwhelmed and largely alone. 

My husband spoke up. “It's time to call Chrystin.”

I felt a glimmer of hope. He was totally right. We needed to bring out the big guns; we needed to call our doula. 

Stay tuned for the fourth and final part of my VBAC story. It is full of surprises!

Missed Part One or Two? Start here. 

Ready to see how it ends? Read here. 

What do you think?

I Had Never Been So Excited to Have a Pelvic Exam: Part Three of My VBAC Journey

Samantha Chase is math major turned elementary school teacher turned stay at home mom extraordinaire. She spent three years studying mathematics at the University of Southern Florida before deciding it was time to make a change. She switched her major to Elementary Education and became a teacher. After graduation, Samantha spent 6 years (and a lot of sleepless nights) working in a high poverty school in the heart of St.Petersburg, Florida. She taught the first, fourth and fifth grades and lear ... More

Tell us what you think!

5 comments

  1. ANNA says:

    another stupid and selfish decision…you really risk a lot overdue pregnancy ,water that broke few days ago and no dilation..yet you were insisting for very risky option that would put your baby’s life at risk and ypur life as well and for what??to feel less like a woman sorry but for me its medieval way of thinking…so you measure your value through your vagina.????is that it?no wander that doctor got frustrated with patients like you fisrt thay insist on dangerous option but if something will happen of course they gonna blame the doctor and be first one to suit…classic story..i had c section too because my baby was breech and i would never ever put my baby at risk for stupid idea -it must be natural delivery you should be happy that ypu have healthy baby and you live in the country that takes safety very very serious and you not force to deliver naturally in case of complication just because the doctors dont want to perform c-section..brain damaged babies,celebral palsy ,broken clavicles dislocated hips from pulling ,serious damages to the mother -thats was standart decade ago in my country…and here we see some spoiled child acting completely selfish when doctor offers the safest option…

  2. Jen says:

    I find this to be a selfish decision, not only could she have died and left her children without a mother but the baby could have died also. And all because she thinks that a c section is not good enough. I have had 2 c sections and I take offense to this. The end result is the same. I also work in the OB field and any time going over 41 weeks AND your water breaking over three days prior is a huge risk, and that is on top of a VBAC only 2 yrs after last c section!! Did she ever stop and think about the baby? Or listen to the doctors(who went to medical school, she did not!!) that told her it was dangerous!!

  3. Nancy says:

    I completely understand why you wanted the experience of giving birth vaginally. I had a vbac very recently. The baby wouldn’t come down far enough I spent the last five hours rotating from side to side to get the baby to come down far enough. When it came time to push the doctor told me I would have a section if I couldn’t get the baby to come out. I am very surprised that you had so much resistance to your vbac though. My doctor promoted it because there was a higher success rate now a days.

  4. Emilia says:

    I am so nervous and excited to hear how this all turned out for you!!

Advertisement
[x]
×

EverydayFamily.com Week-by-Week Newsletter

Receive weekly updates on your pregnancy or new baby’s development as well as Free Stuff, Special Offers, Product Samples, Coupons, Checklists and Tools you can use today, and more from EverydayFamily! Plus all new members are entered to win FREE diapers for a year! Receive weekly updates on your pregnancy or new baby’s development as well as Free Stuff, Special Offers, Product Samples, Coupons, Checklists and Tools you can use today, and more from EverydayFamily! Plus all new members are entered to win FREE diapers for a year!

Due Date or Baby's Birth Date


By clicking the "Join Now" button you are agreeing to the terms of use and privacy policy.

Send this to a friend