The Perfect Summer Meal: Lobster Tacos
The one summertime treat that I always look forward to is a nice plate of fresh crab or lobster. To me, it just signifies “summer” and sitting around a table wrapped in newspaper, nut crackers and bowls of melted butter. When the centerpiece of the table is a large bowl of steamed crab or lobster, it’s not only delicious, due to the time it takes to break apart and eat, it allows for the perfect setting for long conversations and storytelling!
Then again, as much as I would love it, not every summer night or weekend can be filled with such leisure, so I came up with a spin off the classic New England favorite- the lobster roll. I wanted to keep the full rich flavor of our trusty crustacean, but make it a bit lighter, fresher and enjoyable whether hot or cold. So, I introduce you to the Lobster Taco!
My recipe for Lobster Tacos is simple, quick and full of wonderful flavor. I’m sure crab meat or shrimp could be substituted and still taste fantastic. I also searched high and low for blue corn soft taco shells but could only find the hard shell variety. They were good, but if you can find the soft variety, use them. It will taste great. This recipe can be enjoyed hot as tacos or nachos or cold as salsa or topping over a green salad.
This can easily be made any time of year. If fresh lobster is not available, the fish counter at your local market will usually carry a frozen option. This is a bit pricey, but once compared to buying fresh it balances out.
For this recipe, my local fish monger did not have cooked lobster meat and only had frozen tails (which I did buy one to enjoy in a later meal!) so I used frozen. It is premium meat- mostly the sweet meat from the claw and still had the wonderful salty taste of the sea and worked really well. Add to that the bounty from the local farmer’s market of ripe tomatoes, peppers and herbs the taste is so fresh!
It’s like enjoying a taste of summer in every bite!
- 2 cups poached lobster meat, chopped
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped flat leaf parsley, fresh
- Zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. champagne or sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch: Cayenne pepper, kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper.
- 1 pkg of favorite tortillas- taco size. ( If you can find blue corn tortillas, use those! )
- In medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Stir gently.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Spoon into soft taco shells and serve with wedge of lemon.
What's your favorite indulgent summer meal? Would you make this special meal at some point this summer?