Sick Kid? How to Know When to Call the Pediatrician
‘Tis the season. The kiddo and I are curled up on the couch today. It's a bummer when your little one is sick. It's a double bummer when BOTH you and your child are ill. As I'm bundled up under a blanket, half-watching one more episode of Clifford, I'm also wondering where we go from here. We are sick. Are we "call the doctor sick?" How do you know?
When it comes to being a parent, sometimes it is hard to think with your head versus with your heart. I'm in this moment. I am just wishing for this moment to pass. I want everyone to feel better. I want to be back to "normal" (whatever a "normal" day of parenting really is!).
Our symptoms? The kiddo and I both have a nasty cold. To top it off, she "tossed her cookies" last night which leaves me wondering what to expect next.
Have you been here? If you have kids, chances are your answer is "yes."
Not sure what to do? Me either.
In searching for some answers, and some relief, I came across this handy-dandy guide of "When to Call Your Pediatrician." I'm checking this part out closely and printing this one out for the fridge:
When to make the call to your pediatrician?
- Vomiting and diarrhea that last for more than a few hours in a child of any age
- Rash, especially if there is also a fever
- Any cough or cold that does not get better in several days, or a cold that gets worse and is accompanied by a fever
- Cuts that might need stitches
- Limping or is not able to move an arm or leg
- Ear pain with fever, is unable to sleep or drink, is vomiting, has diarrhea, or is acting ill
- Drainage from an ear
- Severe sore throat or problems swallowing
- Sharp or persistent pains in the abdomen or stomach
- Pain that gets worse or does not go away after several hours
- A rectal temperature of 100.4°F (38°C) or higher in a baby younger than 2 months
- Fever and repeated vomiting at the same time
- Blood in the urine
- Bloody diarrhea or diarrhea that will not go away
- Not drinking for more than 12 hours
Oy! That's quite a list. For now, I guess we're sitting back and relaxing with some more tea and Clifford. Maybe we're not so sick after all and this too shall pass.
Wishing you and your family a healthy day!