Neighbor Boys Help Panic-Stricken Mom Save Infant
A Marietta, Georgia mother, Susanna Rohm, had the scare of her life recently when her 12-week-old baby boy, Isaiah, just stopped breathing while sitting on her lap. His panic-stricken mother was at her wits end, as most of us would be, but two young neighbors, Rocky Hurt, 9, and Ethan Wilson, 10, came to her rescue.
Susanna was holding her sweet little boy on Monday when she noticed that he looked pale and his arms and legs were limp. He was unresponsive to her, wasn’t moving, and – when she checked – little Isaiah wasn’t breathing.
Panicked and discombobulated, she couldn’t remember how to give the baby CPR. She tried to call 911 but was so nervous that she accidentally knocked the cellphone under the sofa. The only phone in the house was the cellphone. Not knowing what else to do, in desperation, she ran outside and started screaming for help from someone, anyone. She needed someone to call 911.
Her neighbors, Rocky and Ethan were outside playing football at the time and ran to Susanna’s aid. Luckily, the boys had learned how to administer infant CPR the appropriate way via a poster in their cafeteria at school. The boys calmly and confidently walked the desperate mother through the process, effectively saving baby Isaiah’s life. Those boys are heroes in my book.
Do you know infant CPR? I knew at one point when my girls were babies but I’m not sure that I would remember it now and I certainly don’t know if I could recall it in an actual emergency involving my own newborn. We’d all like to think that we could jump in and save our children if something like this were to happen but the fact is we don’t know how we will react until we are actually in the situation.
When my oldest was about 20 months, she was eating a raisin. She had been eating raisins for some time at that point. I would cut them into tiny pieces and keep a close eye on her but on this particular day, she put it in her mouth and something went wrong. It simply went down the wrong way and she couldn’t make a sound and her lips were turning blue. I have never been so scared in my life. I did not freeze, I went in to try and clear the obstruction with my finger and then I administered the Heimlich. It sounds crazy but I was fully prepared to trache her. There was no way that I was going to let her choke to death. My adrenaline kicked in and I was mama bear MD. My husband froze but had the good sense and wherewithal to dial 911. That’s why we make a good team. It’s also why my girls still don’t eat raisins.
You just never know what you will do until you are faced with the very real possibility that you could lose your child. It scares you like nothing else. Thank God that Rocky Hurt and Ethan Wilson were there to keep Susanna calm and walk her through the CPR.
Have you ever had and life or death emergency with your child? What did you do?
Image via iStock