Kid Friendly Food: Mini Corn Dog Muffins!
Summer is just around the corner, and backyards will have grills fired up, ready to cook steak, chicken, burgers, and hot dogs. Another tasty treat enjoyed during the summer months are the ever favorite corn dogs. Who doesn't love the portable crisp cornbread shell that gives way to a sweet, soft center encasing a juicy hot dog?
My son loves them, and to make sure he could enjoy his favorite summer snack all year long, I came up with a perfect recipe: Mini Corn Dog Muffins! This recipe is perfect for any barbecue, after-school snack, tailgate party, or picnic. They are baked, not fried, and they freeze like a dream, making it easy to prepare ahead of time and enjoy with a quick pop in the oven or microwave later on!
If you are not a fan of hot dogs, try using mini smoked sausages instead. I've substituted mini turkey sausages, and you would never be able to tell the difference. I like that these are already small, and by cutting them in half, they fit the mini-muffin tin cups with perfect proportion. I also like that I don't have to heat up a big pot of oil for deep frying, keeping this recipe for Mini Corn Dog Muffins on the healthier side.
Ready to bring a bit of summer to your table? Great! Let's get started!
What you will need:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- ½ cup butter (1 stick) melted
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8-10 hot dogs, cut into 1-inch pieces (or mini-cocktail sausages, cut in half)
How to make
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a mini-muffin pan by spraying with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In large bowl, melt butter. Add sugar and whisk together. Add eggs and whisk again, until incorporated.
3. Pour in buttermilk and whisk well.
4. In separate bowl, combine flour, corn meal, salt, and soda. Stir well. Add half of dry mixture to wet mixture; whisk well. Add remainder of dry ingredients and whisk again until well combined.
5. Add 1 tablespoon of cornbread batter into each muffin space.
6. Place cut hot dogs or cocktail sausage halves into center of each batter cup.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Cool for 1 minute and remove from pan to serving plate.
9. Serve with ketchup or mustard.
If preparing ahead of time, store in refrigerator and reheat in microwave 20 seconds before ready to serve. If freezing, place frozen muffins on baking sheet and reheat in 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Do you think you will try a baked version of this corn dog? Let me know what you think!