5 Looks with 1 Pair of Patterned Shorts (x 2!)
Geometric patterns are not just for interiors anymore! We are seeing an explosion of ikat and other bold prints on shorts, tops, dresses, and even shoes. These vibrant patterns alone are sure to provide a statement, but they may not be everyone's cup of tea and you may ask yourself if this is the look for you.
Bold patterns can honestly be a little intimidating to wear but today I'm going to show you how to tone down the pattern in these Banana Republic ikat shorts and a pair of Ann Taylor geo print shorts by pairing them with a few neutral options, providing a more conservative way of joining in on the trend.
I've provided two inspiration sets with five looks, each using both pairs of shorts with the same clothing additions. The black and white geo shorts are more on the conservative side while the green ikat shorts offer a bold statement.
- This may just be the best option to tone down those statement shorts – with a dark denim chambray popover. This simple look gives off a coastal vibe with a pair of espadrilles and a straw fold over clutch.
- Peplum tops are one of those wardrobe staples that look good paired with pencil skirts, jeans, and shorts. One of the greatest benefits of a peplum top is its ability to pull in the waistline (and who doesn't love that?) Peplum tends to give off a dressier feel but you could either go really casual with a pair of flat sandals or dress it up a bit with a pair of pumps.
- Another look we are seeing a lot of lately is statement shorts dressed up with a tank topped with a blazer. Also, referred to as the “summer suit”. This is a look that you might be able to wear to the office, depending on your dress code, or for an evening out with friends.
- This citrus yellow cardigan certainly is not a neutral color by any means, but it still provides a safe, conservative look. I've added a pair of ballet flats but you could even wear a pair of canvas shoes such as Keds which would make a perfect casual look for a playdate with the kids.
- A plain white t-shirt goes with just about everything. Add a fun statement necklace to pull from the green shorts or choose the black and white geo shorts and just add a pair of earrings. Both of these looks pull together a perfectly casual style.
These two sets offer a subtle way of joining in on the trend, worn with the right pieces these patterns are sure to make a striking statement.
How do you feel about ikat and the various geometric patterns on clothing we're seeing so much of lately? Take it or leave it?
To view the images in this set, please click here.