DIY Pom Pom Necklace
Have you ever tried to make your own jewelry? DIY jewelry is a fantastic way to customize your own accessories while also saving money. It's also a lovely way to create a gift for someone you care about – have a fashionista for a daughter or a mother who loves to spruce up her outfits with jewelry? Making jewelry is a great way to create something thoughtful and personalized for important people in your life.
I decided to try my hand at making a pom pom necklace. What I love about this necklace is how simple it is to make and the fact that it makes for a great Spring and/or Summer accessory as those months start to trickle in.
A while ago I bought a pom pom ring, and upon looking at it further, I realized it probably wouldn't be hard to make my own. It only took a few supplies from the craft store to make my necklace and the best part? You really don't need any skills to make this pretty pom necklace. In fact, this would be a great craft to do with older children who are starting to enjoy their own personal style. They could easily customize this necklace to make it their own.
Here's what you need to get you started:
- fabric of your choice (you can use an old shirt)
- glue gun
- necklace charm
- necklace chain
Pom Pom Necklace Tutorial:
- Heat up the glue gun. Then trace around a little round object to make circle on the fabric – I used a bottle cap.
- Cut out the circles – I cut out about 10. Make sure to cut on the inside of the circle to avoid having the pen mark showing.
- Take the toothpick and put it in the center of your first circle to form a cone shape with a tip on the bottom. Grab the top of the cone and dip the bottom into a drop of hot glue, and then immediately secure it on the necklace charm.
- Start in the middle of the charm and work your way to the outside. Keep adding circles until you like the shape, and you can trim the fabric a little bit to create a round shape.
- Attach the necklace chain to the pom pom charm with a little ring and you're ready to wear your new necklace!
That wasn't that hard, right?
Additional ideas for making a Pom Pom Necklace:
- Mix two or three different fabrics to make one pom pom.
- Add a button or bead in the center of the pom pom.
- Color the edges of the pom pom circles using an ink pad before you glue them on.
- Paint on the circles with the pen to add interest to the “petals.”
What color would you make your necklace? And can you think of other ways to add to the pom poms? Let me know in a comment.