Coconut Honey Ice Cream: A Sweet Summer Treat!
It's summer time, and that means… ICE CREAM! Now, you don't have to run to the store to get some or wait for the ice cream man to roll up to your neighborhood. You don't even need an ice cream maker.
Yes, you can make your own ice cream without one! Today, I'm sharing this yummy and healthy no-ice-cream-maker version of coconut honey ice cream, perfect for children (and adults!).
Coconut Honey Ice Cream
Yields 3 scoops
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup full cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
- a pinch of sea salt
- rock salt
- ice cubes
- 1 gallon-size freezer bag
- 1 quart-size freezer bag
- Pour coconut milk, cream, vanilla extract, honey, and sea salt in a measuring cup and mix well with a spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the quart-size freezer bag and seal properly.
- Put the ice cubes and rock salt into the gallon-size freezer bag (enough to fill the bottom).
- Pop the quart-sized freezer bag filled with the ice cream mixture into the gallon-size freezer bag, now filled with ice cubes and rock salt. Seal.
- Shake the bag for 10-15 minutes.
- Voila! You have ice cream!
- Make sure you have sufficient ice cubes, or they'll melt very quickly.
- You can try using table salt if you don't have rock salt.
- You can leave the sea salt out of the mixture if you don't enjoy the slightly salty flavor (which, in my opinion, marries really well with the sweetness of the honey).
- If you want a dairy-free version, leave out the cream.
- Get your kids involved by getting them to shake the bag!
Recipe adapted from Super Healthy Kids.