Easy Cinco de Mayo Meal: Crockpot Enchiladas
To help prepare for the festivities of Cinco de Mayo, or May 5th, I have a great time saving recipe for Crockpot Enchiladas that you will love and as an added bonus, it's an easy weeknight meal your family will love!
In years past, this day on the calendar always signified the beginning of some sporting season; baseball, soccer, softball, swimming…the list could go on forever, right? When the weeks began to get hectic, I would always pull out one of my favorite cooking appliances- the crockpot! You really can’t argue the ease of making dinner- put ingredients in, replace the lid, turn it on and depending on the dish, 6-10 hours later, dinner is ready! I Love it!
This recipe is adapted from my favorite crockpot cook book called ‘Fix-it and Forget-it’, by Dawn J. Ranck and Phyllis Pellman Good. With over 800 recipes, I’ve had fun adding a little bit of this or a little bit of that to cater to the tastes of my family. So far, I’ve found a few that we really like and this Crockpot Enchilada is one of them!
This is great served with a touch of sour cream and a nice green salad on the side. Ready to try it?
What you will need:
- 1 lb. ground beef (I used ground turkey)
- 1 c. chopped onions
- 1 sliced yellow squash
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ c. chopped green peppers (I used red)
- 16oz. can red kidney beans; rinsed and drained (I used cannellini beans)
- 15oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 10oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained (I did not have this, so I used 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 can chopped green chilies)
- 1/3 c. water
- 1 ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used white cheddar)
- 1c. Monterey Jack shredded cheese or pepper Monterey Jack cheese (I used Monterey Jack)
- 6 flour tortillas (6-7 inches in diameter)
1. Cook beef (turkey), onions and pepper, garlic and squash in skillet until meat is browned and vegetables are tender.
2. Drain as much liquid as you can.
3. Add next 8 ingredients (that would be the beans, chilies and spices) and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes on low.
5. In separate bowl, combine cheese. Or, buy Mexi-Cheese combination mix.
6. In slow cooker, layer about ¾ cup beef (turkey) mixture, one tortilla and 1/2 c. cheese.
7. Repeat layers until top layer is meat mixture.
8. Cover and cook on low 5-7 hours.
To serve, reach to bottom with each spoonful to get all the layers.
Additional garnishes: sour cream, salsa, guacamole, fresh cilantro
Do you celebrate Cinco de Mayo with special Mexican dishes? What are your favorite recipes?
Recipe adapted from Slow Cooker Enchiladas, ‘Fix-it-and-Forget-it” cookbook, pg. 126