8 Signs You’re Ready For Another Baby
Tuesday, January 14th, 2014
I just welcomed my 4th child into the world and, for me, it was a long time coming. I had baby fever – a strong desire for another child – for about a year before my husband wasn't ready for another child, and so we waited until he felt ready. It felt like a really long year to me and I had a difficult time understanding why he wasn't ready for another baby. We talked a lot during this time and we were able to outline some of the reasons another child felt overwhelming for my husband at that time and that gave us something to work on.
There was no doubt for me that I was ready for another baby. I had always wanted to have a large family and even though I thought after the birth of my third child that I would be done — about two years later that baby fever hit me hard, as baby fever can sometimes do. I won't say that it always made total sense. I mean, thinking fondly about months without sleep, without regular showers, is totally normal, right? Wishing for more dirty diapers, less space, – and did I mention the lack of sleep? – that's high on everyone's list of “Fun I want to have,” isn't it?
I had all the signs that I was ready for another baby, loud and clear. If you're finding yourself on the fence, unsure if you want another baby or if you're ready, there are some telltale signs. These signs show that you're totally ready for another baby, even if you didn't realize it.
1) Your kid just got out of diapers: Let's face it, we all love dealing with diapers. The smell, the price, the way we always seem to run out when we're not able to leave the house, and we can't forget the wrestling we get to do with our kids to make them sit still long enough to change them. If you've found yourself recently without a diaper-wearing child at home, you're totally ready for another baby.
2) The thought of “baby shoes” makes you instantly smile: Did you just read that and smile? It's impossible not to get all gooey and twinkle-eyed when you think about those adorably small baby shoes. Sure, they're kind of useless, but mini-anything is just cute. If you're smiling now thinking about all the tiny baby items, it's likely you're ready for another baby.
3) You bought that expensive couch you've always wanted: I know it sounds like it may be a strange sign you're ready for another baby, but that's just how life works. You've been putting off getting this couch for various reasons — sticky baby fingers being one of them — but now that you've got that piece, you can't stop thinking about babies. Of course, with babies come stains, but you can overlook that, right?
4) You find yourself offering to babysit … a lot: You never really were the friend who offered to babysit out of nowhere so that your friends could enjoy an evening out, but you all of a sudden do. You just want to be near babies — even the screaming kind.
5) You all of a sudden want a dog: Let's face it, you're not really a dog person, but you've found yourself in love with all the puppies lately. If this has happened to you — you're likely dealing with baby fever more than a suddenly growing love for dogs.
6) Your child just started sleeping at night: Parents the world over wait for this milestone and sometimes we feel like it won't ever come. If your child just started sleeping through the night and you're now getting used to life again fully rested, you're ready for another baby! Who needs sleep?
7) You comment on everyone's names: If you're finding yourself with a sudden interest in what everyone's name is, you're ready for another baby. You and your partner comment on which friends have the best names and which names you would never give to your child and and you realize — you're now ready to come up with the perfect name once more.
8) Your older child seems so old now: If you have a child at home, who by all other standards is still young, yet seems so old to you, you're now ready for another baby. You miss the days where they're dependent on you for everything and just want to have that little newborn to love on — you're ready. One word of advice though, when your next child is born, your older child will suddenly seem so small again.
:: What were some of the signs you saw that said you were ready for another baby? ::