21 Ways Amazon and Alexa Can Help You Parent
Have you considered inviting the Amazon Alexa system to come live with you? For your parenting sanity and entertainment, we think you should.
We love to share favorite products with our audience. We want you to know that we may benefit from purchases made using the affiliate links below.
- Need baby to nap? Simply say, “Alexa, open sleep sounds.”
- Start your day off right by listening to some parenting inspiration on TED Talks' playlist, ‘Advice to help you be a a great parent'. Just say, “Alexa, ask TED Talks to play Advice to help you be a great parent playlist.”
- Hear a story about your family based on your photos. Just say, “Alexa, ask Mylestone Memories for a story about my photos.”
- Need to pay some bills? Just talk to your AMEX account, “Alexa, use AMEX.”
- Entertain your kids and make them think with something engaging, “Alexa, start Animal Game.”
- Need a parent timeout but don't have time for one? Just take a few guided breaths, “Alexa, open breathing exercise.”
- Hoping to get into better shape but only have five minutes here and there in your day? “Alexa, start five minute plank.”
- Track your baby's bottle and food intake! “Alexa, tell food tracker to log a bottle of milk.”
- Curious how well you actually slept last night, but your hands are occupied? “Alexa, ask FitBit how I slept last night.”
- Freaked out about a new something that could be wrong with your baby, but your doctor's office isn't open yet? “Alexa, ask myNursebot to add a symptom.”
- Need an idea for what to make for dinner? “Alexa, open Allrecipes.”
- Want to make date night dinner reservations? “Alexa, launch OpenTable.”
- Just had a new baby so there's no way you're cooking or leaving the house today? “Alexa, tell GrubHub I'm hungry.”
- Add things to the grocery list while you dig through your cupboards and fridge, “Alexa, ask Ourgroceries to add milk to the shopping list.”
- Wondering if the weather will hold out for you and the kids to get some outside time in today? “Alexa, what's the weather?”
- “Alexa, ask Animal Sounds, ‘how does a dog sound?'”, gives you cool recordings of real animal sounds like a cow mooing or a horse galloping or a dog panting.
- Play kid's music! There are several different options you can make this happen, listed here.
- “Alexa, open Bed Time Story” will let your child become a character in a children's story!
- Set a timer! “Alexa, set timer for 10 minutes.” This is one we've been using with our two-year-old a ton lately; before bed or when we need to head out the door to go somewhere within a certain amount of time. He's so much more cooperative when he knows what's coming!
- “Alexa, turn on my humidifier. Or bedroom light.” Alexa can connect to any WeMo Switch enabled outlet. Control from anywhere. Plug in a WeMo Mini Smart Plug, download the free app, control your lights and appliances from your smartphone or tablet. Only needs Wi-Fi. No hub or subscription required.
- “Alexa, what’s on my calendar today?” She’ll search through connected calendars like Google Calendar, and pull up your day’s activities while you’re trying to enjoy your cup of coffee in the morning.
Do you use Alexa to take on your daily parenting challenges?