10 Things I’ll Miss About The First Year
This month, my not-so-tiny baby turned 6 months old, and I am in denial. Just in this past week, he has learned to sit unassisted and shove food into his mouth. I forgot just how fast the first year flies by. I want it all to slow down, yet I know in a blink, the summer sun will shine, and before I know it, our family will be celebrating our baby's first birthday.
When comparing motherhood notes with friends and family, I have noticed that moms are either in one of two camps: they hate the first year or they wish it lasted longer. If I had it my way, I would keep my babies tiny for much longer. I love those very first few weeks of my baby's life. Their newborn squish and sleepiness. As my boy grows and develops in the second half of this year, I am trying my best to soak it all in. Here is what I will miss most about my baby's first year of life.
1. Newborn nursing sessions bring chapped nursing lips, milk comas, and happy little dream grins. These things keep me sane during those wee hours of the night when my body is so tired that I can barely keep my eyes open.
2. Silky baby-fine hair and how it turns into adorable curls at the nape of his neck.
3. The transition from sleepy to wakeful around 3 months old and how his eyes are so wide in awe of the world around them.
4. The warmth of his body in my arms as he sleeps peacefully.
5. Watching him as he first learns to grasp and manipulate toys purposefully.
6. The discovery of his own two feet and how he grabs them with his chubby little hands as he is laying on his back, blowing raspberries.
7. Huge gummy grins and adorable belly giggles at my silly faces.
8. His wobbly body rocking back and forth as he learns to sit by himself.
9. His chubby thighs as he begins to stand on his own.
10. His first clumsy steps that bring him further and further away from the moment he was placed on my chest. The moment I will never forget.
What will you miss most about your baby's first year of life?