10 Questions to Ask When Choosing a Doula
If you think working with a Doula is the right choice for you and your partner, it is important that you find someone you are comfortable working with. Before deciding on a doula, you may want to interview several doulas to get an idea of the type of training they have had, as well as their philosophy.
Below you will find a list of 10 questions to help guide you in your conversations, but we also suggest that you and your partner talk about what kind of birth experience you want and come up with additional questions before beginning to interview potential doulas.
- What training have you had? Are you a certified doula?
- How experienced are you? How many births have you attended as a doula?
- What is your philosophy regarding birth?
- Can you provide references?
- What do you provide as part of your doula service? Do you provide both prenatal and postnatal visits?
- What is your fee for services? Do you offer any payment plans?
- What is your availability? Do you have a backup in case of emergency or if you are out of town? Can we meet them, and can they provide references?
- Have you worked with our care providers before? What is your relationship with hospitals and other birth care centers?
- How do you see your role during the birth? How will you include my partner in the birth process?
- What do you expect from me? (contract, questionnaires, birth plan?)