Choosing Natural Childbirth
- Natural childbirth techniques are not invasive and are un-medicated. There is little potential for harm or side effects.
- Empowerment. Many women feel a strong sense of empowerment after giving birth naturally.
- You are in control. There is no loss of sensation or alertness since you are un-medicated. You will be awake and alert, therefore you can move around during labor and select the position you would like to be in during delivery.
- Partnership. It will build the bond between you and your partner as you work together to get through the pain.
- Mobility. You will not be hooked up to a monitor or IV, which means you can get up and walk around, shower, and use the restroom.
- Reduction in need for vacuum extraction or forceps delivery, bladder catherization, or use of Pitocin.
- Relaxation techniques can be useful in other life events. Breathing, visualization, and self-hypnosis can be practiced and used again later, for example, in the early days of breast-feeding, coping with postpartum discomfort, or stress.
- These techniques do not fully eliminate pain. If you do not deal well with pain, or if you have a complicated delivery, an epidural might be the answer for you.
- Remember, no matter what you decide, the best choice is the childbirth method both you and partner feel most comfortable with!
What do you think? Choosing Natural Childbirth