Hot Topics In The Community
Tuesday's Top 10: Relationships That Matter in a Mother's Life
When it comes to the relationships that make our individual worlds go round, the first that come to mind for a mother are the relationships with her partner and children. Of course, it is the relationship with our children that MOST moms I know put first and foremost on their list. But I also believe that mothers and women in general – have some pretty important relationships with other people in this world.
It’s funny, but in some cases – these are the relationships that drive us completely crazy. And for some reason, they are often the hardest to navigate. But imagine where we would be without them?
This Tuesday, it’s the Top 10 (plus 1) relationships in the life of a mom! (in no specific order of course!)
1. The pediatrician. Every mom hopes and dreams for a pediatrician that won’t write her off as crazy because she is worried about her child. Some pediatricians I have met do just that. Finding a good pediatrician, nurse practitioner, or whoever – makes life so much easier.
2. The grandmother. I’m talking in-law of course. From the time you have a child, this relationship can be difficult. Or it can be awesome. It mostly depends on her (because it COULDN’T be YOUR fault). Regardless, this is one of those people that although you didn’t choose – you are stuck with.
3. Your child’s teacher/babysitter. You may not like him or her, agree with everything they do. Or you might LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. I have found the better parents get along with their child’s teacher, the better the child is treated when mom is away. And that means a lot!
4. Your hairdresser. I could give two hoots about a hairdresser. I would probably let nearly any one of you cut and highlight my hair if I was in need (because I’m cheap and because it grows back). But many of my women friends are completely 100% hung up on one single hairdresser!
5. Your neighbors. Whether you need a ½ cup of sugar, someone to hold your extra key, or someone who could watch your child for a half hour while you run to the store, having a good neighbor is a godsend. If not, they can be the bane of your existence.
6. The UPS Man. Okay, so my husband is one. But my UPS man (not my husband) knows where to hide my packages so the kids don’t see them when I get home. Which, around Christmastime, is awesome. And he’s not afraid of my dog which means he will leave a package at my house so I don’t have to go to the actual UPS place to pick it up.
7. Your best girl friend. For innumerable reasons. Because they rock!
8. Your own mother. No matter what you thought about her when you were growing up, chances are she is an important part of your life once you have kids.
9. Your boss. If you have one. If not, your boss becomes your kids. An understanding boss makes life 100 times easier.
10. YOU, YOURSELF and – YOU! No matter how hard it is to find the time to take care of yourself, YOU have to be high on your own priority list. Happy moms make happy kids!
11. And for number 11 - your faith...your God…your beliefs!
Who makes your TOP 10 and WHY?
Stef Daniel is the 40ish year old, experienced (meaning crazy already) mother of count ‘em…4 daughters (yes, she takes prayers) who have taught her nearly E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G she needs to know about raising kids and staying sane. She hails from ...Read More