20 Dinner Table Conversation Starters
Thursday, December 13th, 2012
Sitting down for dinner as a family is a nice way to unwind away from media distractions like television, internet, and video games. Dinner table conversation fosters an occasion for children to work on communication skills while articulating their own opinions. Here are a few conversation starters to initiate meaningful exchanges around your table:
1. If you had just one wish, and it couldn’t be for more wishes, what would you wish for, and why?
2. If you couldn’t watch TV or go online for a month, how would you spend that time?
3. If you had $100 to spend to help people, how would you spend the money?
4. If you could be a famous person for a week, who would you be and why?
5. If you could choose a new name for yourself, what would it be?
6. If you could go anywhere in the world for a week, where would it be?
7. If you could have any superpower, which would you choose?
8. If you could be the principal of your school for a week, what changes would you make?
9. If you could trade places with someone you know would you do it? Who would it be and why?
10. If the house were on fire and you only had five minutes to get out, what would you grab to take with you?
11. What is your favorite way to relax?
12. How can you tell someone you love them without using words?
13. Do you have any fears? How would your life be different if you overcame that fear?
14. If you could eat just one food, every day, for a month, and nothing else – what would it be?
15. If you could talk to your whole school all at once, what would you say?
16. If you could look into a crystal ball and see your future in ten years, what would you want it to look like?
17. If you could trade places with your parents for a day, how would you do things differently?
18. If your parents went on a month-long vacation and you could live with anyone you wanted while they were gone, who would you want to live with?
19. Who have you learned the most from so far?
20. If you could have one dream come true, which dream would it be?