My Baby – Week 7
It’s week seven! Whether you are returning to work soon, or getting settled in to a routine at home, enjoy the time you have! We have milestones, checklists, and much more for you this week.
Milestones to look for this week:
- Your baby may be able to lift his head while lying on his stomach.
- Her eyes may focus on your face.
- His eyes may also follow an object that is moved about six inches above his face. Bold shapes and patterns, mostly black and white, will attract his attention.
- She may also know your voice and will likely respond to it by either becoming quieter or making more noise.
- You may also notice that he likes the sound of music, and he may find it relaxing.
Your little one is probably still sleeping the day away. Most likely, she is averaging 15-18 hours of sleep per day. Though you may wish this included continuous sleep throughout the night, it probably doesn’t. To encourage babies to sleep through the night, some professionals suggest waking them up if they sleep for more than three or four hours at a time during the day. Often, these awakenings will coincide with your feeding schedule.
You may have also noticed that your baby is starting to anticipate mealtime. You should continue to feed your baby every two to four hours, whether they are breast or bottle fed. Gradually, the time between feedings and the amount consumed at each feeding will increase. However, during daytime hours, you should be feeding at least every four hours. For now, a good way to tell if your baby has had enough to eat is to see if she seems satisfied and continues to have wet diapers. If you have any concerns about your child’s eating habits, please check with her pediatrician.